Sunday, March 15, 2015

Bo's Restaurant : Authentic New Orleans Food with a Flare!

I went to Bo's Restaurant (6 West 24th St., New York, NY) on a Friday night with a friend and it was the perfect place to catch up with a friend over great food and drinks. The dining room was warm and inviting and the service extremely friendly and helpful. We also didn't feel rushed at any point and could have kept our table all night catching up.
The drink menu was a mixture of mixology cocktails, some specialty martinis, and also some craft beers. My friend and I opted for cocktails.

Old Fashioned -
Rittenhouse Rye, angostura bitters, orange peel

I asked the waiter his opinion between ordering one of the custom martinis or the Old Fashioned and he suggested if I really wanted to drink to go with the Old Fashioned. I ended up ordering a martini later on in the evening and have to say I actually preferred it over the Old Fashioned. But perhaps it's just a matter of taste.  The Old Fashioned was definitely tasty and I enjoyed it. I liked how it was more about the Rye and the flavor of the bitters and orange peel rather than having crushed cherries and oranges that clog your straw like some Old Fashioneds tend to be. So this was definitely a proper one! 

Crispy Alligator -
Red bell pepper, chili aioli

We ordered several small plates to share so we could try a variation of items. I also love New Orleans themed food and haven't had it since I was there. We started with the Crispy Alligator which was very similar to fried calamari in texture and style. The alligator was very tender, chunky, and flavorful. The chili aioli added the spicy New Orleans flavor to this dish and was the perfect level of spicy. Additionally, the fried red bell pepper pieces were an additional surprise to the dish because it added a sense of freshness and variation to the dish. 

Savory Beignets -
Maple Bacon devil's deligh

The savory beignets were my favorite small plate we ordered. You have the option to order two or four of them and we ordered two, which we then regretted and ended up ordering a second order of two. They were just that good! They were sweet donuts that sat atop maple bacon which was a perfect blend of sweet and savory. I could eat these everyday! Cafe du Monde, you have some competition here! 

Pork Belly -
Coconut & cola braised, smoke cabbage slaw, cotton candy grapes

The pork belly wasn't as great as I was expecting it to be. It was a little on the dry side and not juicy like pork belly should be. Generally pork belly is a fatter cut of meat so it keeps all the flavors and juiciness from the fat. I did enjoy the cabbage slaw and the grapes that accompanied it because they brought some extra flavor and moisture to the dish. 

Monkey Bread -
On the house bread, took photo after we ate half of it! 
Interestingly enough one of the best items we ate was free. The bread wasn't just any kind of boring table bread, it was called Monkey Bread. It also didn't look like much but the taste was unreal. It was croissant-like bread combined with a pound cake texture that was baked with tons of butter. The crust of the bread was also nicely salted which added tons to the flavor. We couldn't get enough of this bread! 
I also was lucky enough to find the recipe online from Gothamist! So here goes: 


Monkey Bread (Yield: One Loaf)

  • 2 1/2 cups bread flour
  • 1 Tbsp. salt
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 5 Tbsp. fresh yeast
  • 1/2 cup cold water
  • 1 lb cold cubed butter 
  • 1/2 lb melted butter
  • 2 Tbsp. salt


1. In a mixing bowl fitted with hook attachment mix flour, salt, sugar, yeast, eggs, and cold water until well combined, continually to mix until dough is smooth and pulls away from the side of the bowl. About 8-10 minutes on a slow speed.
2. Add in cold cubed butter and mix until all butter is combined and dough is smooth.
3. Let proof in a warm place for 30 to 45 minutes or until dough has doubled in size. 
4. Cut dough into 4 even pieces and shape into balls. Roll in salted melted butter and place the 4 pieces of dough in a loaf pan. Let proof for 30 minutes. 
5. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit 
6. When loaf has doubled in size, bake for 25 to 30 minutes

Pickled Martini -
Pick your poison, pick your pickle

For my second cocktail I ordered the pickled martini which peeked my interest because you get to pick your vodka and also your pickle. The only odd thing about this drink is it was called pickled martini, but an actual pickle was not an option for garnish. They only offered items that were pickled. I chose the spicy red pepper which really added tons of flavor to the vodka. Sometimes pure drinks with a garnish are the way to go, and this definitely was a winner! There were tons of garnish choices, so every drink could be different. 

As soon as I left Bo's, I was already thinking about when I would get to return and take my fiancĂ© back. I have to give him a preview for his trip to New Orleans that he is taking this summer. This restaurant definitely has some great authentic New Orleans style food. I highly recommend it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment