Thursday, April 9, 2015

Epicerie Boulud: Counter Service at its finest!

While dining at Bar Boulud for dinner, I noticed the take out area of Boulud called Epicerie Boulud (1900 Broadway at 64th St., New York, NY). I had no idea what they served, but assumed it was more of a bakery rather than a place to get entrees and meals.
The next day, while I was in Lincoln Center for the Dr. Oz show, I had a huge craving for a Bahn Mi sandwich. Bahn Mi's are one of my favorite sandwiches that I often crave like there is no tomorrow. Also, since Passover was starting at sundown, I had to get in my last bread filled item of the week. I Googled "Bahn Mi Sandwich Lincoln Center", and Epicerie Boulud was one of the first results in my Google search. I was surprised because Boulud is French, not Vietnamese! This definitely peaked my interest and I decided that this was going to be the place I would enjoy my Bahn Mi sandwich.

Bahn Mi Sandwich - Thai Sausage, Jambon de Paris, Pate, Jalapeno Mayo, Herbs & Carrot Radish Slaw, on a French Roll 
Upon arrival at Epicerie Boulud, I didn't bother getting distracted by all the other delicious looking options on the menu and pastry items that were on display. I knew I had to get what I came for!
The guy behind the counter that took my order gave me nods of approval for the sandwich that I ordered, which made me happy and even more excited. The sandwich was not a typical Vietnamese Bahn Mi, it was Boulud-ified! It had Thai sausage, nicely cut slices of Jambon de Paris, JalapeƱo mayo, herb & carrot radish slaw, and pate served on a crispy French roll. This sandwich was a fanci-fied sausage sandwich and I loved it! It was sweet, spicy, and savory all at once. I loved the slaw because that is what gave this sandwich some of the traditional Bahn Mi flavor. The sausage was nice and warm while the rest of the sandwich was cold and refreshing. Additionally, the size of this sandwich was perfect. I wasn't stuffed, but I wasn't hungry; I was content. I would definitely order this sandwich again! 

No comments:

Post a Comment