Thursday, February 19, 2015

Nancy Lee's Pig Heaven: AKA Spare Rib Heaven

My fiancĂ© and I have been wanting to try Nancy Lee's Pig Heaven (1420 3rd Ave.)  ever since we saw it on a Travel Channel special featuring their spare ribs! We are glad we did, because the spare ribs were definitely worth all the hype!

Pigs galore outside the restaurant! 

While perusing the menu and deciding on our orders, Nancy Lee herself came over to our table to take our drink order. I was impressed by how she was taking orders and also very present in her restaurant, rather than just owning the restaurant and not being there.

Wonton Soup
Since we went on a frigid night, and since wonton soup is my favorite soup, I figured I had to try the wonton at Nancy Lee's. The wontons were very good, and meaty, but the broth was lacking in flavor. I did love the abundance of scallions since they added some flavor and some crunch.

Pork Buns
The pork buns were very flavorful and tender. The bun portion was extremely doughy, in a good way. They weren't the best pork buns either of us had ever had, but definitely edible and enjoyable.

BBQ Spare Ribs
Now onto the main attraction! The BBQ spare ribs were just deliciously flavorful and they peeled off the bone so nicely. The outer portion of the ribs were nice and crunchy and the meat was tender and delicious. This dish was worth the whole experience of being at this restaurant. We have since ordered in to our apartment just because we wanted our fix of the ribs.

Shredded Pork with Garlic Sauce
The shredded pork was perfectly tender with a nice kick, but not too spicy. Personally, this dish was my favorite of all the entrees, however others would disagree since they preferred the Orange Beef the most. Again, I loved the abundance of scallions on this dish as well! They added the crunch that I needed since the pork was so tender.

Sesame Chicken
The sesame chicken was good and crunchy. It wasn't overly saucy, which I did not like. I would have preferred it had been a touch more saucy so that when putting it over rice I could mix the rice into the sauce.

Steamed Shrimp with Vegetable
The steamed shrimp with vegetables was just as it sounded, bland because it lacked sauce. However, the shrimp were humongous and cooked perfectly so that they had that perfect crunch to each bite. I loved the overabundance of vegetables in this dish, and used them to dip into the other sauces. This dish was definitely healthy and was perfect for our friend at the table that is gluten free.

Orange Beef
The orange beef was sweet and spicy at the perfect levels. It was super crunchy and definitely a winner amongst the three guys at the table. I loved it, but still prefer more saucy and non-fried Chinese entrees when I go out for Chinese.

All in all, the food was pretty good Chinese food, but the ribs may be the best spare ribs ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment