Thursday, July 24, 2014

Buon Amici : An Italian Go-To

I have been to Buon Amici (238 Central Ave) in White Plains, NY for many occasions. It has been my boyfriend's family's "Go-To" spot for birthdays, family dinners, and just a good meal. You know when you are going there, you will get great service, a delicious meal, and leave feeling stuffed beyond belief! The owner, Chris is always there to greet us, and couldn't be any more friendly to all the patrons at his restaurant. We always know that our favorite waiter, Nick will be the one at our table, and we can count on great service! 

When going to Buon Amici, you NEVER order off the menu. The menu has the traditional Italian specialties that you can order at many Italian restaurants, but the Specials of the day are what you order when you come here! They are always different that amazing! The one thing you can always count on is the Burrata! 

Wedge Salad
I have an addiction to wedge salads due to the blue cheese and bacon piled on top of them! This one was just as good as I was hoping. It actually had Gorgonzola crumbles instead of the normal blue cheese crumbles, with blue cheese dressing to add a different flare to this salad.
Burrata Salad
My boyfriend's favorite item on any menu is the Burrata! The burrata at Buon Amici is hands down, his FAVORITE burrata of any restaurant! We always listen to the specials menu, waiting and hoping they will say burrata, and luckily they always do. A trip to Buon Amici without it wouldn't be the same! It is the creamiest burrata there is, and it just melts in your mouth!
Stuffed Zucchini
At this most recent visit, the specials menu had Stuffed Zucchini filled with mixed vegetables. Based on the description, it sounded like a lot of vegetables, but it was absolutely divine. It was so flavorful and was covered in cheese and sauce, almost like a new take on eggplant parmigiana, but it was Zucchini Parmigiana! I wish I could have some now. This is a dish, I definitely may try to tackle in the kitchen myself.
Almond Crusted Soft Shell Crab with Mixed Vegetables
This year, soft shell crabs were a new thing for me. After trying them for the first time, I could not have enough. I have mostly had them prepared with Old Bay and grilled, or in a buttery sauce, but never have I had them as good as Buon Amici! There were crusted in a light flour, with almonds, and served with mixed vegetables. The sauce they were in was a white wine sauce that was just so flavorful and light. If I could relive this meal, I totally would!
Veal Chop with Broccoli Rabe
The veal chop was flavorful and meaty, that's for sure! We liked the description of two of the dishes from the specials menu, and asked if we could combine them, and Buon Amici was more than willing to accommodate us. We wanted the veal chop from one of the dishes, but wanted it paired with the pappardelle instead of just plain veggies. The pappardelle was supposed to originally be paired with ossobuco, but we really wanted the veal chop instead, and we got what we wanted! :)
Pappardelle Pasta Side (made specially for us)
Chocolate Bomb
For dessert, I am a sucker for a warm chocolate lava cake. I ordered the chocolate bomb, which ended up being just that! It was paired with coconut ice cream, which was soooo refreshing and so delicious!
Pineapple Sorbet in a Pineapple 
Another dessert at the table that was very interesting was pineapple sorbet served inside of a pineapple. Not my favorite, since I am not a pineapple lover, and tend to think its a very sour fruit, but I know that everyone at the table LOVED it!

I highly suggest visiting this restaurant if you are in White Plains. It is low key, casual, and very good for groups. It will be a meal to remember, and one to celebrate a special occasion at. In the night that we were there, there were 3 or 4 birthdays being celebrated. If you go, say hi to Chris for me! 

No comments:

Post a Comment