Monday, July 28, 2014

Crave Fishbar : My Favorite Oyster Happy Hour

Since $1 oysters are one of my favorite happy hour specials, I couldn't help but try Crave Fishbar (945 2nd Ave)! After walking by the $1 oyster from 5-7 pm sign every morning on the way to work, and every evening on the way home, I knew this was a spot I had to try! I have been back 4 times since! 

Besides the food and the great happy hour special, I love the ambiance and decor. It is very nautical and homey. If I had a house, I would decorate it like this place. Also, there is an upstairs that is great for parties and groups and their menu is very gluten-free friendly. 

At my most recent visit to Crave, it seemed as though the drink specials during happy hour had changed. It always used to be that select wines were $7 a glass, and this time, the waiter told us that special was not being offered and that it was only half off a bottle of sparkling wine. My friend and I were not in the mood for sparkling wine, and were very disappointed in this new change to the happy hour.  We ended up having to order the wine we usually order, but at regular cost instead of happy hour cost :(  Their website still says there is a wine special of $7 select wines, so this confuses me greatly. I am wondering if the waiter we had was clueless. 

$1 Oysters, West and East Coast

What's very unique about the $1 oyster happy hour special at Crave Fishbar is that there is not only one type of oyster that is part of this special, it's the whole oyster menu, which generally is around 18 different oysters!You can order East coast or West coast or both! Most places with a $1 oyster happy hour special only offer Blue Point as part of this special.

I find it very exciting to try one of each of the various kinds of oysters to compare and contrast the different flavors of each with your dining partner.
This past time was no different, we ordered 8 different types of oysters. In order to keep track of which one you are eating, the waiter always brings the list of the oysters you ordered and matches it with the tray by guiding you that it is from the orange slice clockwise. Definitely very helpful!

Our Oyster Selections

Chopped Local Spicy Scallop - Sweet potato, nori powder, homemade oyster cracker
For our first appetizer, we ordered the Chopped Local Spicy Scallop. This dish was not supposed to be gluten free, but my friend, who is gluten free asked if it could be done, and it could! I am not exactly sure what was changed, but all I know was that this dish was absolutely amazing! The scallops were chopped up and covered in a very light spicy mayo type of sauce, then sprinkled in nori powder and scallions, and placed on top of a sweet potato slice. This appetizer was refreshing and gluttonous all at once!
Rice Dusted Point Judith Calamari - Thai miso sauce, mung bean sprouts, aleppo chile (gluten-free)
The second appetizer we ordered was the Rice Dusted Point Judith Calamari. Oddly, this appetizer was gluten free, which is rare for a fried calamari. It was very different than any other calamari I have ever had, because it was moist, and full of flavor, with the thai miso sauce and chilies offering quite the array of flavors from sweet to spicy. Normally, I find that fried calamari is dry and uninteresting with each bite tasting the same as the last. This dish I could not have enough of, as each bite made me want to have more and more. I also loved the crunch the bean sprouts added to the dish to give it textural interest. 
Fluke Ceviche Tostada - Bean puree, hearts of palm, baby romaine, thai chile
For our third appetizer, we had the Fluke Ceviche Tostada, which I have ordered every time I have been at Crave Fishbar, because it it just that good! This dish is on top of a fried corn tortilla with pureed beans, hearts of palm, romaine lettuce, chilies, and delicious fluke ceviche! The fluke has a perfect level of citrus flavor as all ceviche should have, with a spicy flavor from the chilies. I love the fresh romaine and hearts of palm that add crunch and fresh flavor to the dish, while the beans add the hearty flavor that minimizes the spicy chile flavor.

I highly suggest visiting Crave Fishbar! You won't be disappointed. I also suggest ordering their Lobster Curry for dinner, as I had this on one of my other visits and it was out of this world! I just hope they change their happy hour back to $7 select wines, as then I will truly be their best customer for happy hour! 

No comments:

Post a Comment