Monday, January 12, 2015

The Australian Restaurant, Bar and, Lounge: An Addictive Happy Hour

There is something magical about The Australian (located at 20 West 38th St., New York, NY 10018). Every time a friend suggests going there for happy hour I immediately feel excited and can't wait to go! It is one of those places that I could go to over and over again and never get sick of. It is very casual and perfect for happy hour! I miss working nearby because I can't go for lunch or happy hour as often. Also, anyone I have introduced this place to, has also become hooked! 

They have a great happy hour menu Monday through Friday from 4-7 on drinks and also on some appetizer selections. This place is like a diamond in the rough because it's prices are actually reasonable, compared to normal expensive NYC prices. 


I was lucky enough to be in the neighborhood a few months ago, and got to stop in for lunch! It kind of made my week, and now that I am writing my review a few months later, it is making me want to go there very soon again! 

Warm Spiked Cider (part of the seasonal fall menu)

I was lucky to visit when they had a special fall menu. The warm spiked cider was just what I needed that day because it was getting cold outside, and I was piled high with stress. This drink relieved me of stress because of its smooth, sweet, and warm flavor. I also felt it after the first few sips, so it definitely was spiked! 

Grilled Kangaroo Salad 

Grilled kangaroo over chickpea, cucumber, and cherry tomatoes. 

This salad is very unique because it doesn't even contain lettuce. It is very protein packed with the kangaroo and the chickpeas. Definitely not a salad that leaves you hungry 2 hours later. This is one of my go-to entrees at the Australian because it's healthy, hearty, and delicious. I also love that it ties into the Aussie flavors by having kangaroo instead of chicken. 

Aussie Nachos 
Blue corn chips with guacamole, sour cream, sweet chili sauce, mango salsa, & crispy shallots 
(Can have as vegetarian or add chicken)

The Aussie nachos are extremely addictive! When I went to the Australian for the first time, my friend introduced me to the Aussie Nachos that can be ordered in a happy hour portion, and I have been hooked since. There is something to be said for adding the "sweet" flavor to nachos instead of spicy. The sweet chili sauce really is a hit on this dish, and makes every bite sweet, savory and just that amazing. The mango salsa and guacamole is also very fresh and homemade. This is one of those appetizers that I would order as a meal and not want to share with anyone because I enjoy it that much! 

I highly suggest if you work in the fashion district, that you check this place out. They also have an upstairs area where you can have private parties or gatherings which is nice. On the weekends it is less busy and actually kind of relaxing which is nice, since the fashion district isn't busy on weekends.

No comments:

Post a Comment