Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Bareburger - The Not So Bare Burger!

Bareburger, NYC

I can't say enough good things about Bareburger. I have to say it is probably my favorite place to go for a burger in the city. It is not your typical greasy over indulgent burger that is the rage these days. It is actually more on the healthy side and overindulgent all at the same time. And yes, I have been to the Corner Bistro, Bills Burgers, Shake Shack, The Counter, BLT Burger, Thunder Jackson's, Amity Hall, 5 Napkin Burger, and some others to name a few. And still, Bareburger is my favorite!

These days, every time I walk by the restaurant, I get a strong craving, and actually have to fulfill that craving within the week or day!  Recently, I was riding a bus down 2nd Ave and saw signs for a new one opening up, and that made me have to go there that evening!

It isn't exactly the cheapest burger, but the price you pay is worth it! This place has more than just your regular beef burger. You have the option of beef, turkey, veggie burger, portabella mushroom, lamb, elk, bison, or ostrich meat for your burgers. You also have the choice of type of bun you want on your burger. You can be fancy and have a brioche bun, or healthy and have a multi-grain roll, and wrap your burger in an iceberg lettuce wrap for extreme flavor, or wrap it in a wheat flour wrap, or tapioca rice bun, or gluten-free bun. The choices are endless. Also, all the meat is grass-fed and organic if you are one of those animal rights people! (Yes, I love animals :))

When I go to Bareburger, I always order the Elk meat (medium rare) in a lettuce wrap with the Big Blue Bacon option. This burger is packed with danish blue cheese, sauteed mushrooms, grilled onions, applewood smoked bacon, lettuce and peppercorn steak sauce. Because I put it in a lettuce wrap, you can taste the flavor of the meat and the sharp contrasting flavor of the blue cheese. Having it in a lettuce wrap is extremely messy, as all the juices leak out all over your hands, but it is worth using a whole tree's worth of napkins for this amazing taste! I think that when a burger is in a regular bun, you lose out on the flavor of the meat and the toppings because the bun soaks up all the juices and flavor. Also, it is healthier and lower in carbs! Who can complain about that :) I have never had a bad burger experience at Bareburger.

Bacon Blue Cheese Burger with Elk in Lettuce Wrap / Side of Coleslaw in a mason jar

I also recently ordered a side of coleslaw which I have to say is the best coleslaw I have ever had! Sorry Mom! I always think my mom's coleslaw is the best, but this coleslaw was so different than any that I had ever had before. It was extremely crunchy, not overly creamy or overly watery and had a flavor that I can't describe. Definitely worth ordering! If I can remember correctly, it was only $1 extra for this amazing addition to my meal!

They also have all these options for side orders to share. I highly suggest having more than two people when you order the sharing size plates, because these baskets are huge! It isn't necessary to order a sharing plate or a side, since the burgers and a beer are so filing, but it is fun sometimes to over indulge! I would definitely suggest just getting fries, rather than the combo of onion rings and fries. I do love onion rings normally, but these were not the best onion rings I have had, because they didn't have big juicy onion slices inside and seemed a little over fried! The dipping sauces they include with your fries are definitely delicious. For anyone that knows me, I eat certain foods so I can have the dipping sauces or condiments that go with them, rather than the food.  I am one of those people you want to say, " do you want fries with your ketchup?" to. Bareburger has many selections of sauces. You have your choice of : bareburger special sauce, spicy chipotle mayo, peppercorn steak sauce, chipotle ketchup, curry ketchup, pesto mayo, ranch, country dijon, and horseradish mayo. My favorites are the curry ketchup, chipotle mayo, and the bareburger special sauce, which actually come with the fries order already, so extra special ordering needed! I also tried the pesto mayo once, and that was also very delectable!!

The other exciting thing to enjoy at bareburger is their awesome selection of beer. I love ordering a huge beer, which is their medium size for me,  for only $5 if you order the Lionshead Lager, which happens to be very good beer! I think its 24 or 32 ounces for the medium size...

If your looking for a buddy to enjoy a night out at bareburger, I am game!






No comments:

Post a Comment