Sunday, September 11, 2011

Rewind: All My Summer Food Exploits!

This summer I enjoyed many food experiences and didn't want to miss out on sharing them on my blog before I jump into my fall and winter adventures!

Most of all this summer, I fell in love with lobster rolls. I actually had never had one before this summer and now have had 3! I just can't get enough of them, and kind of always crave them :( Sadly, an expensive obsession.

My first lobster roll was at Peter's Clam Bar in Island Park, NY (Long Island). This place is one of the places my mom went to growing up. It was a very nice place because it had 3 vibes in one. It had a fancy inside restaurant where you can enjoy a more elaborate menu. It had a deck in the back on a waterway that had more of a casual atmosphere and menu, and also a clam bar menu, that was super casual and perfect for going to after the beach in your bathing suit. My parents and I went to the inside restaurant because of the air conditioning and hot day, even though my mom prefers the clam bar! Much to my surprise, this was where I fell in love with lobster rolls! I also think that out of the 3 I have had, this is the best one so far! I prefer the buttery lobster roll rather than the creamy mayonnaise lobster salad type of roll.
Peter's Clam Bar Restaurant Lobster Roll

One bite into this roll changed my life! It was soooooo good! It was so flavorful, buttery, and the perfect amount of warmth, but also refreshing lobster taste. Also, the salad and fries were pretty amazing as well! Definitely a place I would like to visit again! 

My second lobster roll was from a Luke's Lobster Roll Food truck. I was walking through Union Square and contemplating in my head what I was going to eat for dinner that night after I shopped at Trader Joe's. I have never spent so much money at a food truck before ($16.50), but it was so worth it! This roll was definitely different from the one I had at Peter's. It was a cold style one, but luckily had no mayonnaise. I had heard such great things about Luke's and had been wanting to try it for quite some time. It was definitely good! It had some cayenne pepper on it and very little butter. It was more about tasting the actual lobster than all the seasonings and flavors added. I had also heard it won this year's Tasting Table's Lobster Roll Rumble . So this was a definite "must-try" for me. Although, I have to say, my heart is still with Peter's Clam bar. 
Luke's Lobster Roll Truck
My third lobster roll this summer was at the Red Hook Lobster Pound stand in Dumbo right on the water. What was unique about this stand was that you had two options to choose from as far as style of seasoning and flavor. Maine stye: cold with mayo or Connecticut style: warm and buttery. I, of course chose the Connecticut style. This roll was my second favorite because it was buttery and also had a lot of cayenne pepper on it that added a lot of flavor and spicy-ness to it.  It wasn't as big and filled with as much meat as the other two, but the flavor was amazing! Definitely worth trying! mmmm

Red Hook Lobster Pound : Dumbo Brooklyn on the water 

I almost had a 4th lobster roll in Fire Island at a place called CJ's. Cj's is known for having a lobster special and for being the creator of the Rocket Fuel drink that is in all fire island bars. They had a special that included a Rocket Fuel drink (a pina colada style drink, but much more alcohol) and the roll, making the Rocket Fuel much less expensive than when it was ordered a la carte. I was fooled by the special and ordered the lobster roll special instead of the lobster special which included a potato, corn, and a lobster for $20. When the lobster roll came to my table, I was horrified! It reminded me of tuna fish because the lobster was so ground up into a salad type of consistency with tons of mayonnaise and celery pieces. I immediately decided I could not eat the roll because I actually hate tuna fish, and the idea of eating something with that consistency did not make me feel good. I sent it back to the kitchen and exchanged it for the lobster special, which was amazing! Also, the rocket fuels there were sooooo good and so strong! 
Very Happy Girl! Lobster at CJ"S
Chicken and Waffles    

I had my first chicken and waffles this summer. It was definitely delicious, but probably something I will not order again. I have never been a fan of fried chicken with bones because it reminds of me of the style of chicken from Kentucky Fried Chicken, which it too heavy for me. I am more of a wings or a chicken nugget type of gal! :) So I went to a place called Delta Grill that is known for Louisiana style food. The waffles were absolutely perfect with a little bit of powdered sugar on them and a very delicious flavored syrup. The chicken was also very delicious and went very well with the syrup flavor of the waffles. 
Chicken and Waffles at Delta Grill 

Happy Girl ready to feast! 

Garlic Fries at the Yankees Game 
The only reason I go to sporting events is for the food, beer, and for the social aspect. I am not a huge sports follower, but love the food at these events. I have never seen garlic fries until I attended the Yankees game. I also went the extra distance and became an ultimate pig and had cheese on my garlic fries! They were so garlic-y and so delicious that it was worth the bad breathe! 


I stumbled upon this beer hall in passing several times and never had a chance to stop in. I finally had a chance to check it out on a nice Sunday afternoon. I must say, that this place now has become one of my favorite places that I have been. The vibe and ambiance of the place is extremely low key, cool, and just scenic. It has the true beer hall feel, with nice skylight ceilings to let the sun shine in while you sit at long picnic tables and enjoy beer from probably the largest beer menu I have seen in quite some time. Also, the inside of this place has a very cool vibe as well. They offer a brunch and dinner menu with waitress service, along with a grill area where you can order bratwurst and other various grill style items. I ordered the most amazing bratwurst in a pretzel bun that I have ever had. They had a huge selection of mustards to choose from. And my whole philosophy on eating is, the more sauces the better! So I definitely enjoyed the mustard bar a lot. Also, they had these huge pretzels you could order from the main menu that I saw several tables order. Next time I go, I am definitely getting one of those! I also ordered a cherry flavored beer that tasted like cherry soda, but was actually higher in alcohol content than most beers. 

Cherry Flavored Beer - Kasteel Rouge

Massive Pretzel

Bratwurst with pretzel bun

Eats on Lex - BuyWithMe Deal 
I bought a deal on BuyWithMe to try out a restaurant I had never been to. For $26 you get 6 oysters, a burger and fries, a martini cocktail, and also a dessert. It was definitely an amazing deal! The burger wasn't the best burger I have ever had, but it did come with carmelized onions on it and it was cooked to the perfect medium rare that I had asked for. I could have dealt with having less fries. The oysters were very good, along with the oysters shooters we ordered extra on the side! The best part of the meal was the martini and the dessert. I ordered an Espresso martini and it was so full of flavor. It tasted so much like coffee and was so dessert-y that I felt like I was in heaven! Also, the dessert was so rich that for the first time in a long time, I could not finish the whole thing. But definitely worth every bite! I would go back for the oysters, dessert, and martini anyday! 
Oysters at Eats on Lex 
Expresso Martini and Amazing dessert!
Mercato- Massapequa Park, Long Island NY
I went to a bridal shower in Long Island. I was very impressed on the venue it was held at. It was extremely cute and happened to have great food! I ordered the Steak and Portobello Flatbread which came with a balsamic dressing on it and cheese. The mix of flavors together made it very delicious! I may just have to take a trip back out to Massapequa Park for this meal! 
Steak and Portobello Flatbread


2 comments:

  1. Good stuff! If you get a chance - go down to Red Hook to go to the actual Lobster Pound in Red Hook..they have a huge tank in the store...super cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha thanks! I wanted to go to the original too, but it was a little bit too far to go on a bike! Perhaps you'd want to go with me sometime to the original? and we can take the Ikea water taxi there?

    ReplyDelete