Saturday, November 5, 2011

La Mar Cebicheria Peruana- Peruvian Delight

I attended a dinner at  La Mar Cebicheria Peruana for one of my best friend's birthdays. As soon as I entered, I was slapped in the face with the beautiful ambiance and aromas of delicious foods. I had always wanted to check out La Tabla when it was situated in the same location, but had somehow missed out on it. I was very excited to have the chance to dine at this restaurant, so close to Madison Square Park.

I arrived a little late to the party, so I unfortunately missed out on some of the earlier appetizers of ceviche. But the menu selection was definitely interesting and had a huge selection of dishes to choose from.
I did arrive in time for the Aji de Gallina Fritters, which included empanadas, tequeno (a little like an egg roll), and croqueta (croquettes) that were accompanied with mashed avocado, rocota cream, and olive sauce. This appetizer was definitely tasty, but I didn't think it was anything special or different than I've had before. It also was extremely fried. I would suggest getting a different appetizer off the menu, if you are looking for a more "fresh" feel. Although, the avocado dipping sauce did add a nice touch.
Aji De Gallina Fritters 

The next appetizer we ordered I happened to love! I would highly suggest it. We ordered the "pulpo," which was smoked Spanish day-boat octopus, anticucho jus (juice from grilling skewered beef heart), potato cream, olive foam, and garlic crisps. This dish was the most fascinating way I have ever seen octopus served before. The foam made it very nautical. The octopus was super tender and full of flavor. This is a dish I definitely would have wanted to eat more of. Also, the additional thrown on vegetables gave it a very nice textural crunch. 
Pulpo 

The last two appetizers we ordered were anticuchos, which were two grilled skewers with anticucho sauce, smashed fried potatoes, choclo (a spanish corn with HUGE kernals) , and huacatay sauce. We ordered the steak and chicken skewers. The steak was unreal! It made me want to order more for my real meal. It was super saucy, and had these crunchy, but tender all at once kernels of corn. Also, the potatoes served on the side of it, were extremely delicious. The chicken skewers were also very finger licking good, but not as good as the steak. The chicken had more of a BBQ flavor, that wasn't as robust in flavor as the steak.
Steak Anticuchos

Chicken Anticuchos

My favorite part of dinner was my actual entree. Usually, appetizers and sharing plates are the best part about eating out. This situation was in reverse! I ordered the "Tacu Tacu a lo Pobre," which was described as lime bean tacu tacu, grilled hanger steak, fried quail egg plantain, onions and tomatoes, in a chorrillana sauce. Typical peruvian tacu tacu is a mixture of beans and rice, fried, and topped with breaded or pan-fried steak and onion salsa. This dish was the opposite of traditional. It was heaven on a plate. There was no rice also, which was a huge plus! I genuinely had no complaints about my dish! I also would not want to share this dish with anyone, because I'd want to be selfish and have it all to myself! Additionally, to my surprise, there was a potato pancake on my plate! The steak was cooked to perfection, medium rare of course. Also, the sauce on the vegetables was succulent, as well as the combination of the egg on top of the plantain. I would definitely order this dish every time. 
Tacu Tacu 

The birthday boy ordered the Maine Lobster. Usually, lobster is served with just butter, corn, and potatoes. This lobster was nothing but original. It was served cut open, with the lobster marinating in a special ceviche sauce that also had the special spanish style corn kernels in it. The lobster was beautiful in presentation. I also was assured by my friend how delicious it was! 

Maine Lobster 

Lastly, to finish up dinner on a sweet note, my friend had brought in a cake to the restaurant to serve. The cake was from my favorite bakery, Sugar Sweet Sunshine Bakery!!! This bakery to me, is known for their amazing Sunshine Cupcakes and also their Chocolate Bomb. The cake they served exceeded my expectations! It was a strawberry layer cake that was so creamy, and sweet! The buttercream frosting was just like I always remembered from Sugar Sweet Sunshine Bakery. Also, the strawberry filling on the layers added the most heavenly flavor to the cake. I finished my whole slice, and was left wanting more. Unfortunately, my inner voice said no! 

Birthday boy with Sugar Sweet Sunshine Bakery Strawberry Layer Cake 

I want more! 


I hope I have left you with a craving for something savory and sweet! Now, go eat! 




No comments:

Post a Comment