Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Vietnamese Comfort Food: L'Annam 28

After walking past this place almost every day for 3 years and looking in the windows at patrons' delicious looking platters, I learned that it was the other location of the L'Annam in Union Square that has recently become a favorite. I decided I needed to try it before I move out of the neighborhood! I learned that L'Annam 28 has the same level of great service and great food as the one in Union Square, but had a much better ambiance than their other location.

I have never ordered a bad dish at their other location, so I knew this place had to be the same. They totally satisfied me once again! One complaint I have is that it took forever for them to bring us our appetizer. It got to the point that I was staring at each plate that came from the kitchen to see if it was ours.

My friend and I ordered the Steamed Lady Finger appetizer and it did not disappoint. It came out piping hot and was extremely succulent. Each dumpling had big chunks of shrimp in it and soaked up the dipping sauce that accompanied it. After I was done with my three I definitely wanted more!  Just writing this now makes me want to run to L'Annam and order some to go!
Steamed Lady Finger Appetizer 

For our main meals, we shared two dishes. We ordered the standard dish of pad thai with chicken in it and also ordered my favorite meal, the Crispy Pan Fried Noodles, which was topped in shrimp, chicken, vegetables, and brown sauce. 
The pad thai was very appetizing because it wasn't just a pile of noodles and meat. There was definitely enough vegetables in there to add some extra crunch and flavor. It also came with a sauce that added an extra zing to the dish. I have never seen pad thai come with dipping sauce, so this was very different for me. 
Pad Thai with Chicken

Now, onto my favorite dish, the Crispy Pan Fried Noodles was served just as amazing as usual. I love this dish because it has contrasting textures, which when eating I find very delectable. The noodles come from the kitchen very crispy, and soften up as you let them soak in the brown sauce. I think that they have the perfect combination of crunch and sogginess once they soften. Also, the fact that this dish has shrimp and chicken, makes my mouth smile. Also, the crunchy vegetables add a level of zest to the meal. 
Crispy Pan Fried Noodles - Shrimp, Chicken, and Veggies in Brown Sauce

I highly recommend this restaurant because it has all three qualities when looking for a restaurant. It has good prices, decent ambiance, and also amazing food!  


No comments:

Post a Comment