Sunday, March 11, 2012

Delmonico's : The Traditional Steakhouse

After debating over a million choices in restaurants for Restaurant Week, my friend and I decided on Delmonico's (56 Beaver St.). We had heard of this old school steak house as being amazing. It is actually known for being the first restaurant in New York. Originally starting as a pastry shop, and eventually ballooning into a world renowned steak house. Located in the middle of the financial district and old Manhattan, you won't be surprised to see it filled with business men and financial guys out with clients. 
Outside View on Beaver St.

For restaurant week you can't go wrong by going to a steak place because at most other restaurants, steak dishes are always supplemental fees. At that point, what is the point of restaurant week if you have to pay extra for all the "good" dishes.

Restaurant Week Menu

I have to say that all in all the food was outstanding, even down to the bread basket at the start of the meal. It came out very soft and warm, straight from the oven. They were also willing to give us a new basket once ours became cold. Usually I try not to fill up on too much bread before the meal, and try to stick with one piece, but this bread was so good, that I had to have two! The butter was extremely creamy with sprinkles of brown sugar on top, which I would have never thought to put on butter, but what a great idea! It added some sweetness to the already carbo-loading damage I was doing to my body.

Best Bread Basket Ever! ....Best Butter too!

For my starter, I chose the 1867 Classic Lobster Newberg, that was served in a Brandy, cream and caviar reduction. This starter had a supplemental fee of $10, but was well worth it. There was a very generous portion of lobster and it was extremely fresh and deliciously drizzled in the cream sauce. It was a party in my mouth! This was offered in an entree size also for the meal, but I decided I had to have steak for the meal and go for this for my appetizer. Surf and Turf!

1867 Classic's Lobster Newberg - Brandy, Cream, and Caviar


For dinner, I ordered the 8 oz. Filet Mignon. It was served with mixed vegetables and mashed potatoes. The steak was cooked to perfection and was just the right amount of steak. The vegetables were also very nicely seasoned. The steak was served on top of the mashed potatoes, which gave the mashed potatoes an amazing flavor because they soaked up all the juices from the steak.

Filet Mignon - 8 Ounce Filet Mignon with Chef's Seasonal Vegetables 

For dessert we ordered two desserts to share. We had the Classic Baked Alaska, which had a meringue coating with walnut cake and banana gelato on the inside. There was apricot jam on the outside of the dessert and some on the inside giving it a moist and fruity taste. The banana gelato had an intense banana flavor. I almost would have preferred another flavor of ice cream, perhaps something with chocolate, raspberries, or strawberries in it. Banana is something that not all customers like, so I thought it was weird that this was the flavor of ice cream they were serving. 

Classic Basked Alaska - Walnut Cake, Apricot Jam, Banana Gelato, Meringue

Our second dessert, the Tiramisu, was very delicious! I feel like its hard to serve a bad tiramisu. It had the intense espresso and chocolate flavor that I love in tiramisu. It was extremely moist and spongey like tiramisu should be! I liked that they served it with some caramel drizzle on the bottom of the plate for dipping :)

Tiramisu

No comments:

Post a Comment