Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Mussel Pot: A Pot of Gold

When my friend had a deal to the Mussel Pot (174 Bleecker Street), I will admit, I was a little apprehensive. I read many bad reviews on Yelp, and was kind of worried that this would be a terrible experience. I was definitely proved wrong. 

The ambiance was nice. It wasn't anything too special, but it was clean, good lighting, perfect level of noise, and good service. I was impressed by the selection of entree's to choose from the Mussel Menu. It reminded me of being at a Macaroni & cheese place where you customize all the toppings, but instead this was with mussels. I had never seen Mussels prepared in this way with so many toppings, flavors, and sauces!

Mussel Menu - So many choices!!! 

I knew I wanted to order something with lobster in it, or some type of seafood other than the mussels since there were so many entrees with this option. I debated back and forth between the Chef's Best Mussels  and the Lobster Bisque Mussels. I took the waiter's suggestion and went with the Chef's Best.

I definitely made the right decision, because it was amazing! It was very full of flavor, and extremely cheesy. It had bits of lobster, bacon, and mushrooms while covered in a cheese fondue. One thing I will say, is there definitely could have been more lobster, but otherwise, it was absolutely amazing! There were also bits of chives in it, which gave it a sharper bite. After all my mussels were gone :(, I definitely dipped mass amounts of bread into my cheese sauce! mmmm-delicious! 

"Chef's Best" Mussel Pot - Lobster, Cheese Fondue, Hard Smoked Bacon, Roasted Wild Mushrooms

My dining partner ordered the Lobster Bisque, which you would think sounds amazing, but it wasn't! I tasted it, and it was on the bland side. Mine was definitely much better. It was made with a sherry and brandy sauce, with baby shrimp, peas, shallots, lobster, and crawfish, so there were definitely some good add-ons mixed into it, but definitely lacking the flavor. 
Lobster Bisque Mussel Pot - Sherry, Brandy, Baby Shrimp, Peas, Shallots, Lobster & Crawfish Meat

For sides, we ordered sweet potato fries and regular fries. They were slightly crispy at the edges, and soft on the inside. They were served in a cute cone. I think fries are the perfect pairing with mussels! The pots of mussels were so large and filling, that I could barely eat my fries though :(  My hips thanked me later! 
Side of Sweet Potato Fries

I definitely enjoyed my experience at the Mussel Pot. It was exciting to see that the possibilities were endless on a pot of mussels. I would return for the Chef's Best, but definitely not the Lobster Bisque! 

No comments:

Post a Comment