Thursday, October 20, 2011

Macaroni, Not Just a Childhood Treat! - S'Mac, Sarita's Macaroni and Cheese

After hearing about this place for several years now, I decided I had to see for myself what was so great about it! First of all, the ambiance isn't one to write home about, but the food definitely makes up for it. Also, they offer regular, multi-grain, or gluten-free macaroni noodle choices, so everyone can be happy! You have the option to order one of the pre-designed creations, the sampler platter of 8 pre-selected flavors from the pre-designed creations menu, or create your own macaroni and cheese with your choices in types of cheese, veggies, meat, and condiments added to create your own signature flavor.

Pre-Designed Macaroni Choices - How do you choose just one????
For my first experience here, the sampler platter was the best choice so that I could sample more than one type of macaroni. Even though the pre-designed choices sounded amazing by themselves, I knew I needed to sample more than one type! 

Sampler Platter Cheat Sheet - yum yum yum!
The sampler platter included the following flavors:
All-American- a tasty blend of American & Cheddar cheeses. 
4 Cheese-  Cheddar, Muenster, Gruyere and a touch of Pecorino. 
Cheeseburger- Cheddar and American cheeses combined with seasoned Ground Beef
La Mancha- Flavorful Manchego cheese accented by fresh fennel and onions
Cajun- Cheddar & Pepper Jack cheeses, andouille sausage, green pepper, onions, celery, garlic and, of course, some genuine Cajun seasoning. 
Napoletana- Fresh Mozzarella, roasted tomatoes, roasted garlic, and fresh basil
Alpine- Gruyere coupled with its partner in crime, slab bacon
Parisienne- Creamy Brie, roasted figs, roasted shiitake mushrooms & fresh rosemary


Sampler Platter 
I have to say, most of my macaroni and cheese experiences have been with the standard american and cheddar cheeses. I did once have "fancy" macaroni and cheese at Cafeteria, where I had ordered the sampler of 3, which included one that had truffle oil in it! So coming to S'Mac was definitely my first ultimate macaroni and cheese outing because I felt like a princess in a castle of macaroni! 


I learned that I am more of a fan of the white cheeses because of the rich, caustic flavors. During my whole dinner, I kept going back and forth between deciding on my favorite combination. My top three are definitely La Mancha, Parisienne, and La Mancha. If I had to pick one, it definitely would be Parisienne, because, when in doubt, pick mushrooms! I also don't even like figs, and I didn't even notice them in this one, even though they were part of the mix. The rosemary added a very distinct flavor that I loved!


All Gone! 


I would definitely go back, but probably order my own Parisienne, or create my own combination :) 

1 comment:

  1. oh wow! The Parisienne sounds amazing! I absolutely can't get enough figs.

    ReplyDelete