Monday, October 31, 2011

The World is My Lobster: 22 Bowens, Newport, Rhode Island

A woman should never be seen eating or drinking, unless it be lobster salad and Champagne, the only true feminine and becoming viands.


While attending a wedding in Newport, Rhode Island, my friends and I spent the day doing touristy activities. One of them included walking along the water near all the shops and restaurants. We all became hungry even though we knew it was only a few hours before the wedding and we would be eating a feast at the wedding. The picturesque setting of 22 Bowens drew us in. It also helped that we saw a woman eating an amazing looking lobster roll at an outside table. 


In general, this restaurant had an upscale fancy pub feel. It was also the largest restaurant I have ever seen that close to the water. It had outside seating, inside and upstairs. It was the type of place that is more casual during the day, and dressier at night.


Because of my obsession with lobster rolls, I didn't even need to look at the menu. I knew exactly what I was ordering before I set foot inside the restaurant. The lobster salad duo that I ordered arrived at my table and I couldn't wait to take the first bite. I was glad that this wasn't a creamy lobster roll, and that it was more on the lighter side. One thing that I wasn't totally in love with was that the rolls it was served on weren't buttery like the usual lobster rolls I am used to. Because they weren't buttery, I actually didn't bother eating the bread and just ate the lobster to be "carb free". It was delicious anyhow! MMMM Also, traditionally, this dish is served with fries, but I substituted it with salad! 



Lobster Salad Duo 

My friends, on the other hand ordered a type of lobster sandwich that I have never even heard of. They ordered the Chef's EZ Lobster Grilled Cheese, which had brioche bread, brie cheese, local vine ripened tomatoes, tarragon mayo and served with housemade old bay potato chips. This sandwich is definitely one that I would like to try sometime, however that day I was more in the mood for something lighter. Although, the sandwich sounds like something to make for a party! 

Lobster Grilled Cheese 


No comments:

Post a Comment