Sunday, February 19, 2012

The Nook : BYOB Paradise

I was recently recommended by two people within the same week to go to a little place called Nook (746 9th Ave.,between 50th and 51st. (212)247-5500)I was also told that you NEED a reservation here because of the size of the place. They were totally right. I showed up, and at first the whole place was empty. Within 5 minutes, everyone showed up for their 8pm reservation, and the whole place was packed! This tiny no frills hideaway happens to have amazing food, along with another great perk, it's BYOB!! So of course my friend and I brought a bottle of wine to share. 


Before ordering, I had much hesitation because everything sounded amazing! Not only was the waiter, very personable and friendly, but he was willing to customize the dishes in any way I wanted. I originally was leaning towards ordering the Steak Frites because of the rosemary fries that were included in the dish, however, the waiter recommended ordering the Filet Mignon and pairing it with the fries from the other dish! I got to have my cake and eat it too! I was a happy girl :)
Filet Mignon

The filet mignon was a great cut of steak and was also served in a balsamic reduction that was just divine! I wanted to soak up the sauce with anything I could dip into it! They cooked it to perfection, which for me is medium rare. It was also paired with asparagus and the highly anticipated rosemary fries, which were just as flavorful as I was hoping for. I have to admit, that the word "fries" in any entree, kind of makes me want to order it...such a bad habit. I was very happy with these fries, as they were not overly greasy and had the perfect amount of rosemary. 

Pan-Seared Atlantic Salmon

My friend ordered the Pan-Seared Atlantic salmon, which was accompanied with asparagus and chive mashed potatoes. I didn't taste the salmon, as I have a hatred for "cooked fish" unless its shell fish, or raw sushi style fish, but I did taste the mashed potatoes, and they were good! 

I would definitely suggest this restaurant to anyone. It is good for a romantic date, a birthday dinner, regular night out with friends, or even parents visiting in from out of town. But, remember it's cash only, you must have a reservation because its a small place, and be sure to bring a bottle or two of wine! There is no corking fee. I also thought it was extremely nice that they weren't trying to rush us out of the restaurant even though we had finished our meals. The waiter let us stay there until we were done with our wine and still didn't seem to care whether we left or not, which was how most restaurants should be! 

Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment