Monday, February 20, 2012

Per Lei: "For Her" - True Romance at its best

I was asked on a date a little while ago to a neighborhood spot I had not tried (I literally walk past it all the time!) From just the outside, Per Lei gives off the feeling of romance and elegance. It definitely draws one in for a not to be missed meal.

The inside of the restaurant is beautifully decorated with paintings of women all over the walls by the artist Fabrizio Musa. My date explained that the meaning of "Per Lei" is "for her" and that the restaurant was made for the owner's wife and daughter and that somewhere in the collection of paintings were portraits of the wife and the daughter. I thought this was a very cute story that made me feel more connected to the restaurant. 

The service was also very pleasant. They all wore white gloves which made me feel like we were in an extremely exclusive restaurant that my credit card couldn't afford. The waiter was full of knowledge of the dishes and mentioned many specials that were on the menu, not that I always listen to those long rambling lists/summaries of specials. I still never understand why restaurants don't type out the specials, or have them on a board somewhere? I definitely have ADD when it comes to listening about the specials. 

Extremely delicious bread with the best dipping sauce! 

I normally wouldn't think that raving about the bread basket at a restaurant is normal, but this place happened to have very good bread! The dipping sauce added some zest to the pre-meal snack, instead of the regular butter or olive oil most restaurants serve. This dipping sauce was a mixture of olive oil, spices, and some tomato flavoring. It definitely had a kick to it! If the waiter didn't take it away, I wouldn't have been able to eat my meal. 

 Insalata di Mare

Since my date had been here before, he suggested ordering the Insalata di Mare for the appetizer. It was a mixture of baby shrimp, crab meat, octopus, cuttle fish, calamari, various vegetables, fruit, and herbs in a lemon dressing. It was definitely a generous portion for an appetizer. The seafood tasted very fresh and full of flavor. I also loved the amount of crunchy vegetables that were included. I most of all loved the intense lemon flavor that made each bite fresher than the next. 

 Gnocchetti Alla Crema Di Tartufo

As usual, I had trouble narrowing down a dish on the menu to select. I am a believer of always having protein in my meal. Most of the time, I am incapable of ordering a pasta dish that doesn't include some type of meat or seafood mixed into it. I feel that pasta alone is just eating a plate of carbs, delicious carbs, but definitely in need of some protein! After carefully scanning the menu, I selected a dish that included one of my favorite flavors in the world, truffle sauce! I ordered the the Gnocchetti Alla Crema Di Tartufo, which was a homemade gnocci dish that was covered in truffle sauce and some pieces of fresh truffle. I asked the waiter if I could add shrimp to my dish, and he was more than happy to do that for me, which I definitely appreciated. 

I must say, that this dish beat out my favorite truffle gnocci at Uva. I guess I have found a new favorite! It was so creamy, rich, and full of flavor! It definitely was a heavy dish, but I somehow managed to finish every bite of my dish because of how delicious it was! It had the perfect mixture of cream and truffle. If you love truffles, then you will love this dish. If you don't like truffles, then DO NOT order this dish, because this is definitely the strongest flavor of truffle I have experienced thus far. 

I would highly recommend this restaurant for a date, family gathering, or evening out with a close friend that loves food. I will definitely be back soon, I hope. 

No comments:

Post a Comment